Causes of Aging
- Aging is no more limited to the "Calendar Age"
- Functional Aging arriving before chronological aging secondary to:
- Accumulation of complications of Living Long (Burden of LONGEVITY) : Non Communicable Diseases, Degenerative diseases, Physical & Mental decline , Frailty.
1. Stress, Social Jet Lag, Lack of Sleep
2. Lack of Exercise, Decreased Physical Activity
3. Obesity, Malnutrition, Diabetes
4. Hormonal imbalances, Mood disorders
5. Pollution, Intoxication
With the advancement of modern medicine and technology the life expectancy of individuals are increasing (increasing the "old olds").
On the other end, due to variousfactors, people are showing early signs of aging affecting the daily living and productivity adversely (increasing the "old young").
The "Social Jet Lag" (working against the circadian rhythm) has compounded the adverse aging issues by altering the "Endocrine and Nutritional homeostasis".
The non-communicable diseases like Obesity, Diabetes, Cardiovascular diseases are on rise.
Antiaging Medicine was initially focusing on longevity, but now the spectrum is widening towards "Reversing Aging" by combination of various modalities of conventional, interventional and life style medicine.
"Wellness" is a privilege in today's world. Where "Health" is a birth right to everybody, "Wellness" needs to be acquired.The 4 Key Components of Early Aging and Complications of Aging are
Types of Aging
- PHYSICAL : (Obesity, Frailty, Muscle loss, Bone loss, Tissue loss, Aesthetics)
- ENERGETICS : (Fatigue, Lethargy, Pains, Sexual dysfunction, Weakness, Inability to cope up)
- HOMEOSTATIC: (Stress intolerance, Hormonal imbalances, Mood disorders, Inflammation, Diabetes, Autonomic imbalances)
- DEGENERATIVE: (Osteoarthritis, Diabetes, Memory loss, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's disease)
Common Diseases in Today's Aging Population
|Obesity||Hormonal imbalances||Sleep Disorders||Aesthetics issues|
|Cardiovascular diseases||Andropause||Memory problems||Osteoarthritis|
|Pain Syndromes||Somatopause||Alzheimer's disease||Falls/Fractures|
|Sexual dysfunction||Diabetes Mellitus||Parkinson's disease||Dental problems|
|Autonomic dysfunction||Stress Intolerance||Appetite disorders||Cataract|
|Malabsorption||Bowel problems||Bladder problems||Indigestion|
|Interpersonal issues||Social issues||Cancer||Others|
If the 4 key components of Aging and 4 Categories of Aging Complications can be managed then "ANTIAGING"/"REVERSING AGING" is not far from reality.